Why Should you consult a trainer?

Everyone with a dog starts off wanting a loving, trusting and peaceful relationship with their dog. All too often they wind up with a dog they don’t
trust. The neighbors complain about the constant barking. The dog goes crazy when they see other dogs. The dog doesn’t come when called.
The dog destroys the house. The dog drags the person down the street while on walks. The dog, the dog, the dog…..was never properly trained.

Only about 5% of all dog owners train their dogs properly. The other 95% don’t do any training at all or use inappropriate training methods.
Effective dog training employs the science of classical and operant conditioning combined with knowledge of how dogs learn and how to
motivate them.

Through appropriate training you and your dog learn to communicate with each other. All too often people give instruction to dogs that have no
idea what is being asked of them. Dogs talk to us through their body language and vocal sounds which are often incorrectly understood by
people. The result is people don’t understand their dogs and the dogs don’t understand their people. This miscommunication erodes the
relationship between people and their dogs.

Through appropriate training you and your dog become a team. Teams are composed of members that work together to perform tasks with
each member of the team having a function. How well a team functions is a measure of their training. A team that is well trained is more
successful. Its members are more in tune to the actions and needs of the members. Team members learn that they can trust and depend on
each other. They work together as a unit to deal with situations. A team lacking appropriate training is not very successful. The members act
more as individuals, looking out for their own needs. The relationship between team members tends to be more chaotic and dysfunctional.

It is strongly recommended that you seek the guidance of a dog trainer as soon as possible after you adopt your dog. A dog trainer has the
education and experience to teach both you and your dog how to have that loving, trusting and peaceful relationship you both want.

If you need assistance finding a positive reward based trainer in your area please contact us at ritas@shelterlink.com

Be the person your dog thinks you are...


A few thoughts about groomers

There are many dog groomers. Some groomers are better than others. The
following suggestions can help you select a groomer that has the
experience and skills needed for your pets grooming.

  How does the grooming shop look? The grooming shop should look organized and clean.

  How does the grooming shop smell? The grooming shop should not smell bad.

  How does the grooming shop sound? The grooming shop should not be excessively noisy.
While many dogs are stressed by the grooming process excessive barking may indicate that the
grooming shop is an excessively stressful place for dogs.

  The grooming area should be in full view of the public. Ask to take a tour of the grooming shop.
If there are areas off limits this may indicate that the groomer has something to hide.
 
Ask about the products that are used. Natural products are often best.

  Ask about the groomer’s experience. As a rule, a groomer should have at least 5 years experience
or more.
  Does the groomer ask you about what health issues your dog has?
The stress of grooming can exacerbate health issues. The use of some chemicals can trigger allergic
reactions in your pet.
 
Groomers use various sharp tools like hair clippers, nail clippers and scissors.
There is always a chance a dog could be hurt, even by the best and most experienced groomers
Ask what vet they will bring your dog to in case of an accident.
 
Check references such as other people that use the groomer and the vet used by the groomer.
  
Check your dog after grooming for signs of injury. Run your
hand over your dog’s body and feel for anything unusual. Watch your
dog’s reaction to your touch. If your dog reacts to your touch it may
indicate an injury. Look for rashes and burns caused by a hot hair clipper.
  Listen to your gut. If you sense something isn't right
start asking questions.

And most importantly if you are not comfortable leaving your dog in a facility because something seems wrong
then do not leave them! You are their voice and their protector!!

Volunteers for Wildlife – 631-
423-0982